Nigerian Sesame Seeds
The sesame plant is a flowering plant that grows in Africa. Sesame seeds are widely farmed in tropical regions around the world and is cultivated for its edible seeds, which grow in pods. One of the first oil seeds known to humankind, sesame seeds have been widely used in culinary dishes as well as in traditional medicines for their nutritious, preventive, and curative properties.
Delicious and nutritious, you can’t go wrong with sesame seeds!
Health Benefits of Nigerian Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are chock full of essential minerals, including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and selenium. These minerals promote bone health, red blood cell development and function, and a strong immune system.
In addition to these essential nutrients, sesame seeds carry two unique substances: sesamin and sesamolin. Both of these elements belong to a group of unique beneficial fibers called lignans. Lignans have been shown to lower cholesterol, prevent high blood pressure, and increase vitamin E supplies. Sesamin has also been shown to shield the liver from oxidative damage.
Nigerian sesame seeds provide a rich source of:
● Copper (relief for rheumatoid arthritis)
● Magnesium (supports vascular and respiratory health)
● Calcium (prevents colon cancer, osteoporosis and migraines)
● Zinc (promotes bone health and healthy skin)
● Fiber (promotes digestive health)
● Vitamin B-6
● Vitamin B-1
Uses of Nigerian Sesame Seeds
● Soups and Main Courses: sesame seeds are a culinary staple in Africa, India and throughout the world. Used in soups, salads, sweet dishes, and as a tasty garnish.
Sesame seeds can also be used to make margarine (a butter substitute). Sesame is also the main ingredient in tahini (which is used to make hummus)!
● Sesame Seed Oil: Sesame seed oil is great for cooking and is used to protect the skin from harmful UV rays. Sesame oil can also be used to treat dry or damaged hair.
● Tasty Topping: Enjoy as a healthy snack on their own, in dip, or as a subtle (yet flavorful) topping. They are especially tasty when roasted or toasted!
Naturalike Sesame Seeds
At Naturalike, we source all of our sesame seeds directly from the finest farms in Nigeria. We form close relationships with local Nigerian farmers to ensure that we are providing you with the 100% natural goodness and high quality products that we have become known to deliver. Enjoy!